Monday, May 31, 2010

That was a long walk

The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park is closed to auto traffic for paving and snow removal at the Avalanche trailhead/campground.  But you can hike or bike up the road.  This seemed like a great opportunity to see the sights off the road.  I passed only about 15 bicyclists, five hikers and one park ranger on my hike to The Loop, six miles up the road.  After six and a half hours of walking I was happy to see my car again and rest my tired feet.  Click the pics for larger size.

Going to the Sun Road with a fresh layer of asphalt and no one in sight.

Lake McDonald was pretty calm.  Light winds and slight drizzle until later in the afternoon.

A different look at the same vista.

Root system of a fallen tree on the Trail of the Cedars path.

Use your imagination.

Pathway on the Trail of the Cedars hike.

Water was flowing everywhere in the park.

Heading up the road you start to see the peaks.

Very few critters on the road today.  This Wood Duck just watched his friend fly off up the river.

The road needs repair before it's ready for the crowds.

The tunnel was covered inside and out with run-off.

Getting closer to my goal.

I don't know what this is, but it tried to take me back to its planet.

The Loop.  Finally.

The view of Heavens Peak from the Loop.

Heading back down the road when it started raining.  Here is where I wished I had ridden my bike so that I could coast all the way back down the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment